FRENCH VERB POUVOIR
The French verb pouvoir means to be able to:|
Je peux me le permettre.
I can afford it.
Je peux courir 5 km sans m’arrêter.
I can run 3 miles without a break.
Je n’en peux plus ! Il faut que j’aille me coucher.
I’ve had it! I have to go to bed.
Je ne peux pas le croire !
I can’t believe it!
The French verb pouvoir can also mean to be allowed to:|
Tu ne peux pas faire ça, c’est interdit !
You can’t do that, it’s forbidden!
Depuis 2006, on ne peut plus fumer dans les restaurants en France.
Since 2006 in France, one can no longer smoke in restaurants.
Pouvoir can also be used as an impersonal verb:|
Il se peut que tu aies raison.
You may be right.
Relis-toi encore une fois, il peut y avoir des fautes.
Read it again, there might be mistakes left.
Pouvoir can also be used as a noun:|
Batman est le seul super-héros qui n’ait pas de pouvoirs.
Batman is the only superhero without any powers.
Les français se battent pour leur pouvoir d’achat.
French people are fighting for their purchasing power.
LEARNING TO CONJUGATE POUVOIR
FRENCH FOR ABLE TO, CAN
- The French verb for see pouvoir is an irregular verb from the 3rd group.
- POUVOIR is a MODAL verb. After any conjugation of POUVOIR you can put any infinitive to make a useful phrase. This tool opens up thousands of new phrases.
- Learn to conjugate the important verb pouvoir by reciting verb table above along the rows, then down the columns.
- Watch and listen to the pouvoir video and listen to the conjugations of POUVOIR read aloud by Allison, a native French speaker.
- Repeating these verb tables of POUVOIR aloud 10 times throughout the day from memory, or while reading the verb tables and with the video or sound recording, will better embed the patterns into your subconscious, and your long term memory.
- Reciting aloud is a great way for you to practice your pronunciation, and helps you to memorize the conjugations. Ensure that you do some from memory.
- You can do these verb tables any time you have a spare few minutes. In the train, car, bus, or while having a bath or a scrub in the shower, while waiting for that doctor's appointment.
- To really consolidate the verb learning of pouvoir, and any other French verbs, download and fill in the blanks of the worksheet fill-in-the-blank verb tables. This is one of the most POWERFUL weapons to have in your verb arsenal, and great for helping you learn the French verb POUVOIR.
- There are hundreds more fully conjugated verbs in the French Verbs List.
More Verbs like the French for be able to - pouvoir ✔ Check out the other top ten French verbs - the most important ones - like the French verb POUVOIR.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave us a comment in the box below.